Wednesday 21 November 2012

Oh.My.God!

So, this is gonna be one of the rambling posts..

It was a really long and tiring day for me. I was woken up by my granny at 5am telling me that she was coughing. I was really wondering what was wrong with her.. until I went to the toilet with her and saw what was in the sink.
She actually coughed out blood, the size of 50cent coin. And to my horror, blood started flowing out of her nose as well!
So i immediately asked her to go and sit down but she just continued washing her dentures and rinsing her mouth. I totally had to drag her out of the toilet man..
I got her to sit semi-recumbent on the chair and elevated her legs cuz she was complaining of dizziness.. immediately took her blood pressure, and boy was it high!
So I called my Mum and phoned for an ambulance and continued monitoring my granny and preparing things to bring in case she needed to be hospitalised.
Even though I was doing all those stuff and running about in the house, I was seriously panicking inside. Scared shitless. FML.

The paramedics came soon after, and this cute granny of mine saw them and blamed me for not informing her and allowing her to change out of her PJs. :/ then she started walking back to my our room and started looking for things. Seriously. I had to drag her to the bed or whatever you call it so that they could send her to the hosp.

The ambulance I called was from the Civil Defence. Apparently they only send people to the nearest hospital, which is KTPH (which sucked by the way) and my parents wanted her to be sent to TTSH instead.
But that couldn't be done cuz only privaate ambulance sent you to the hospital of choice.

So, we headed to K hosp unwillingly.
And honestly, I think the system at this hosp really sucked. And having a bad experience there last year where granny had the same problem didn't help either.
the last time she was warded, they could not really conclude the reason for the haemoptysis. and this time round the doctor said that she suspect it was the same problem. like "DUH'!
so we spent around 3 hours at ktph before they discharged her and we brought her to ttsh and started the whole A&E thing all over again.

And the thing about TTSH was that the system was much better, but the waiting time is OMG!
Well, although the A&E doctor wasn't really attentive when I told her what exactly happened (which my uncle told her off) but ultimately after discussion with the consultant, they decided to hospitalise her.
So, we went and did the admission paperwork, and we were about done by 12pm. However, there were no beds available!

So granny was moved to one of the temporary beds in the A&E while waiting for a bed. and seriously they are so short of beds!!! we were told that the waiting time is more than 8 HOURS!!! and it really was.
we stick around till 6pm where we finally decided to leave for home.
and till now she still hasn't gotten a bed in the wards.
Poor granny :(

So now, here I am, waiting for my hair to dry so that i can get some sleep. Good thing that my class is only starting at 2pm tml..
i really feel thankful for studying to be working in the healthcare profession. I was really questioning the doctor(s) when they were trying to 'bluff' their way throught trying to explain what was going on with granny. they had to really think through anything before saying anything. HAHA. especially with that crazy uncle of mine around. LOL.
and thankful that i did not panic too much and knew what to do before the paramedics arrived.
:))

ok. enough of my ramblings.
i'm really tired.
goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment